Coconut toffees are one of the famous and sweetest snacks in Sri Lanka. The main ingredient would be coconut. For this, you can use either desiccated coconut or fresh coconut. If you use fresh coconut, make sure that it is dry and less moist. You can make coconut toffees in various colors. Not only a plain single color but also you can use bi-colors.
The texture of the toffee should not be dry and therefore you should always focus on the consistency of the mixture. When comparing the fresh grated coconut and the desiccated coconut, desiccated coconut is more tasty and it gives such an amazing sweet flavor.
- 200 grams desiccated coconut
- 300 grams sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon food coloring
- In a large non-stick pan mix coconut and sugar.
- Keep it on the stove under low flame, stirring constantly.
- When the water in the mixture is evaporated, add vanilla and food coloring.
- Cook until the mixture reaches the soft ball consistency which means that when stirring the mixture forms like a ball.
- As soon as it gets the soft ball consistency, put the mixture into a buttered baking pan and flatten it using a spatula.
- Let it cool and harden. Cut into pieces using a sharp knife.
Here are some more sweet delicious recipes for you!