Béchamel sauce or white sauce is one of the oldest sauces in global cuisine. This is also known as the mother sauce of French cuisine. Béchamel sauce can be used as a base for many dishes and sauces. The main ingredients would be butter, flour and milk. This is so easy to make, milky and delicious. Béchamel sauce can be used for pasta dishes and many more dishes as it has a great flavor. You can use either black pepper or white pepper and you can add nutmeg, a dried bay leaf for more flavor. Also, if you want this sauce to be cheesy, you can add some parmesan or mozzarella cheese according to your preference.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- salt to taste
- Add butter into a heavy bottom pan and heat.
- When the butter is melted, add the flour and stir well.
- Stir constantly for 2-3 minutes until the flour is cooked.
- Add in 1/2 cup of milk and stir constantly until well combined.
- Pour in the remaining milk and stir constantly until the milk starts to boil.
- Keep stirring for 5-6 minutes under medium heat until the milk starts to thicken up.
- When the sauce is thick, reduce the heat and add pepper and salt and stir until well combined.
Here are some more delicious recipes recommended for you!