Roast Chicken is a delicious chicken recipe where a whole chicken is roasted in a rotisserie or over a fire. There are so many variations of this Roast Chicken recipe and they vary according to the ingredients used for the marination or the way chicken is roasted. You can use the chicken either with or without the skin for this recipe. The chicken is tuck in the oven using the rotisserie forks and when it circulates it is roasted with its own fat and juices.
The marination contains lots of spices which enhances the flavor of the chicken and it is so delicious. The best and the recommended way of marination is letting the chicken to marinate overnight or at least 6 hours. For this recipe, I used a skinless whole chicken of around 1 1/2 kilograms but if you want, you can use chicken with skin and adjust the measurements according to the size of the chicken you use.
- 1 whole chicken
- 10-12 garlic cloves
- 1 inch ginger
- 1/2 of medium sized onion
- 1 1/2 tablespoons salt
- 2 tablespoons pepper
- 2 tablespoons chilli powder
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 1/2 tablespoons coriander seeds
- 1 tablespoon cumin seeds
- 1/2 inch cinnamon stick
- 1/4 cup tamarind water
- 1/4 cup oil
- BBQ sauce ( optional )
Making the marinade:
- Put the coriander seeds, cumin seeds and cinnamon stick into the grinder and grind.
- Separately, grind ginger, garlic and onion into a paste.
- Add the ground ginger, garlic and onion paste into a mixing bowl.
- Add the ground coriander seeds mixture.
- Add salt, pepper, chilli powder, curry powder and turmeric powder.
- Mix all together with a spoon.
- Pour in tamarind water and oil and mix until well combined.
Preparing the chicken:
- Remove the chicken giblets and excess fat.
- Rinse and clean the chicken inside and outside well.
- Pat dry the chicken with a paper towel.
- Save 1/2 cup of the marinade for later use.
- Apply the rest of the marinade using a brush or by hand and rub the chicken well.
- Make sure that the whole chicken is coated with the marinade.
- Apply the marinade into the inside of the chicken.
- Cover the chicken with a plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 6 hours.
Roasting the chicken:
- Tie the legs together with a kitchen string. Tie the wing tips only if needed.
- Tuck the chicken in the rotisserie forks.
- Apply the remaining marinade to coat the chicken completely.
- Place the chicken in the rotisserie oven.
- Roast for 30 minutes in 220°C degrees (428°F). Roast for another 1 hour in 190°C degrees (392°F) or until the chicken is fully cooked.
- Remove the chicken from the oven and coat the chicken with BBQ sauce.
- Serve hot with some onion rings and boiled vegetables!
The chicken is fully cooked through, juicy and tender. The marination has added an amazing flavor to the chicken. The combination of the flavor of the marinade and the BBQ sauce is heaven!
Are you a chicken lover? Here are some more chicken recipes for you to try!