Chicken rolls are one of the famous foods around the world. There are various types of recipes to make chicken rolls. This recipe is to help you to make chicken rolls in an easy way with only few ingredients.
Stuffed Rolls are very famous worldwide and there are literally many ways of making them. They differ according to the stuffing, coating, wrapping, shapes and originated in different countries around the world such as “Arem-arem” from Indonesia, “Cabbage rolls” from England, “Kati rolls” from India, “Sausage rolls” from United States, “Taquito” from Mexico and so on.
For this recipe, we make thin pancakes first and stuff them with a delicious chicken mixture, roll it, coat with breadcrumbs and deep fry it. This is so delicious and easy to make. Chicken rolls are perfect as an appetizer or as a snack for a perfect evening.
- 250 grams all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 medium sized egg
- 1 1/4 cup water
For Chicken Mixture:
- 250 grams minced chicken
- 1/2 cup sliced onions
- 1-2 green chillies, sliced
- 3-4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 tablespoon ginger, chopped
- 1/2 cup carrot, grated or chopped
- 1/2 cup leeks, sliced
- 1 cup potatoes, boiled and cut into small pieces.
- bunch of curry leaves
- 1 tablespoon chilli powder
- 1 tablespoon chilli flakes
- 1 tablespoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 tablespoons tomato ketchup
- 2 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons oil
For the Coating:
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups breadcrumbs
- oil to deep fry
Making the Chicken Mixture:
- Season the chicken with 1 teaspoon salt, 1 tablespoon soy sauce, 1 teaspoon pepper and chilli powder and set aside for 5 minutes.
- Heat oil in a large pan and add the seasoned chicken.
- Saute until the chicken is cooked. Keep the chicken aside.
- Add oil to the same pan and add chopped garlic, ginger and curry leaves.
- When the garlic is golden and fragrant, add the onions and fry until golden.
- Add the green chillies, carrot, leeks and boiled potatoes and mix well.
- Add salt, chilli flakes and pepper and mix well until well combined.
- Add the cooked chicken and mix well.
- Add tomato ketchup and soy sauce and mix well until combined.
- Remove from the stove and let it cool down.
Making the Pancakes:
- Sift the flour into a large mixing bowl and add salt, turmeric powder and the egg.
- Add water little by little and mix well until you get a thin batter.
3. Brush some oil to the pan and pour in a spoonful of the batter.
4. Swirl the batter well so that the mixture coats the surface. Make the pancake thin so that the rolls will not be so puffy!
5. Let it cook for 5 minutes and carefully turn the other side.
6. When both sides are cooked, remove from the skillet and repeat the process.
- Spread a pancake on a flat surface when it is hot.
- Put a spoonful of the chicken mixture onto the pancake in a line towards the end of the circle and fold the pancake from the sides that the points of the mixture are facing.
- Using the fingers, roll the pancake. The edge of the pancake gets sealed automatically when it is rolled while the pancake is hot.
Egg wash and the crust:
- Break the eggs into a small bowl and add the bread crumbs into a separate bowl.
- Evenly coat the rolls with the egg wash and coat with the breadcrumbs.
- Again coat the rolls with the egg wash and coat with the breadcrumbs. (Doing this step twice make the coating strong, so that it won’t crack while frying.)
- In a large pan heat the oil to deep fry the rolls.
- When the oil is heated, add the rolls batch by batch and fry until golden brown.
- Place the fried rolls on a paper towel to drain the excess oil.
- Serve hot with tomato sauce or chilli sauce.
Do you want more appetizers? Check out below!