Do you want to make super easy and delicious fish cutlets with no crackings? Here’s the best recipe for that! This is perfect as a snack for parties or you can eat them with a main meal. This is a freezer friendly and make ahead recipe and all time favorite!
- 400 grams mackerel/tuna fish (drained and bones removed)
- 200 grams boiled potatoes (skin removed)
- 200 grams onions chopped
- 8-10 garlic cloves chopped
- 2-3 green chillies chopped
- some curry leaves
- 2 tablespoons chilli powder
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 tablespoons pepper
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups of bread crumbs
- oil to deep fry
- Crush the potatoes with a fork or a potato crusher. (do not need be smooth)
- Break the fish into small pieces.
- Combine the fish and potatoes together using a fork.
- Add salt, chilli powder and pepper and mix well until well combined.
- Keep the fish and potato mixture aside for 15 – 20 minutes until marinated.
- In a large pan, add 2 tablespoons of oil.
- Add chopped garlic to the pan and saute until light golden and fragrant.
- Add the curry leaves and chopped onion and fry until the onions become light golden.
- Add the chopped green chillies.
- Add the fish and potato mixture to the pan and mix it till well combined.
- Now switch off the heat and add the fresh lime juice and mix well.
- Keep the mixture aside and let it cool down.
- After it cools down completely, take a spoonful of the mixture and roll into small bite-sized balls.
Egg wash and the crust:
- Break the eggs into a small bowl and add the bread crumbs into a separate bowl.
- Evenly coat the balls with the egg wash and coat with the breadcrumbs.
- Again coat the balls with the egg wash and coat with the breadcrumbs. (Doing this step twice make the coating strong, so that it won’t crack while frying.)
- In a large pan heat the oil to deep fry the balls.
- When the oil is heated, add the cutlets batch by batch and fry until golden brown.
- Place the fried cutlets on a paper towel to drain the excess oil.
- Serve hot with tomato sauce or chilli sauce.
- Have a small bite from the mixture before rolling, to test the taste. Add what you feel less in the mixture.
- You can freeze this unfried balls upto 2-3 days. But remember to coat them with breadcrumbs before you fry them.
- You can freeze the fried cutlets too! You can save them for 2-3 days in the fridge.
Here are some more appetizers for you!