Kottu Roti is a food which is insanely popular among Sri Lankans and super delicious! It is hard to avoid and so tasty! There are many varieties of this recipe. People use Parata or Godamba Roti for this! Those can be bought or can be made at home! These paratas are chopped and mixed with the vegetables and with so many flavorful spices. Adding a leftover or homemade chicken gravy increases the flavor of the kottu roti. This is such a mouth watering food and it is hard to find a Sri Lankan who does not like to eat Kottu Roti!
- 500 grams chopped parata or godamba roti, either store bought or homemade
- 2 cups cooked shredded chicken
- 1 cup chicken gravy
- 1 cup carrots, sliced
- 1 cup leeks, sliced
- 1 cup onions, sliced
- 8-10 garlic, chopped
- 3-5 green chillies, sliced
- bunch of curry leaves
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 tablespoon pepper
- 2 tablespoon chilli flakes
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons oil
- In a large non-stick pan, heat the oil.
- When the oil is hot, add the garlic and curry leaves and cook until golden and fragrant.
- Add the onions and cook until golden.
- Add the green chillies and carrots and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the leeks and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Beat the egg into the pan and wait for 1 minute and scramble using the spoon.
- Add salt, pepper, chilli flakes and mix well.
- Add the shredded chicken and mix well.
- Add the chopped parata and mix until well combined.
- Pour in the chicken gravy and soy sauce and mix until well combined.
- Mix all together until all the parata pieces get coated.
- Serve hot with any leftover chicken or gravy if you have.
The usual and the original way of mixing kottu roti is using two blades and hitting the mixture, so that all the ingredients would be chopped and combined well. It is usually happened on a flat surface. But, as this recipe is homemade and if you cannot find a flat tray and blades, you can simply use a pan and two sharp spoons. This well help you to chop and mix the mixture well.
Here are some more main courses recommended for you!