Love cake is a traditional semolina cake based in Sri Lanka. This is easy to make, keeps well and can be made ahead! The crunchiness of cashews and the sweetness of pumpkin preserve makes this recipe so delicious. Ground Cardamom, Cinnamon, Nutmeg adds a slight spiciness to the cake. Spread your love with every bite of this sweet love cake!
- 250 grams salted butter
- 250 grams chopped pumpkin preserve
- 250 grams chopped cashews
- 250 grams semolina
- 200 grams granulated sugar
- 3 egg whites
- 6 egg yolks
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp rose essence
- 1/2 tsp spice powder
- Toast the semolina in a saucepan until it turns into light brown in color.
- Keep it aside to cool down into room temperature.
- After semolina reaches the room temperature, add butter and mix until well combined.
- Keep the mixture in the refrigerator for 5 – 6 hours or overnight.
- Grease a 9 x 9 inches baking pan with butter and parchment paper and set aside.
- Beat the egg yolks and sugar in a separate bowl until it becomes pale and creamy.
- Then add the semolina mixture and beat until well combined.
- Fold in the chopped pumpkin preserve and cashews into the mixture.
- In a separate bowl beat the egg whites and add in the honey, baking powder, rose essence, vanilla extract and spice powder and beat until well combined.
- Fold the egg whites mixture into the egg yolk and semolina mixture and mix well.
- Pour the cake batter into the prepared pan and even the top.
- Bake in 180 degrees for 1 hour or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- It tastes better if you refrigerate the semolina and butter mixture overnight.
- Use 1/4 tsp of ground cardamom, 1/4 tsp of ground cinnamon and 1/4 tsp of nutmeg, if you cannot find spice powder.
Here are some more sweet recipes recommended for you!