Tortillas are kind of flat bread which was originated in Mexico. This is so easy to make and perfect for dinner or breakfast. You can make various kinds of meals using tortillas such as Shawarma, tacos, burritos and so on. For the original recipe, mexicans use lard which is fat from pig and use wheat flour. But as it is hard to find lard in many countries, we can use either olive oil or virgin coconut oil for this and also instead of wheat flour, you can use all purpose flour for this. Also, when adding water, water should be warm and NOT hot! When you put your finger into the water, you should feel a little warmth.
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 3 cups warm water
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Add all purpose flour, salt, baking powder and olive oil to a large mixing bowl.
- Mix all together using a spatula.
- Add water gradually and mix until you get a non sticky, soft dough.
- Transfer the dough into a floured flat surface.
- Knead the dough for 5 minutes and DO NOT knead it more that that because the dough will be hard to roll.
- Transfer the kneaded dough to a bowl and cover it with a wet kitchen towel.
- Let it rest for 10-15 minutes.
- Divide the dough into small balls and cover them again with a wet kitchen towel for around 5 minutes.
- Place a dough ball on a floured flat surface and roll it until you get a thin tortilla.
- Apply some oil to the pan and heat.
- Place the tortilla on the pan and cook until bubbly and golden.
- Flip the tortilla and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Wrap the cooked tortillas with a wet kitchen towel to keep the moisture.
The texture of the tortillas should be like this; soft and elastic and yet so delicious!
Searching for more main courses? Here are some suggestions!