Pol Sambola is a traditional dish in Sri Lanka made using freshly scraped coconut. This often goes with rice, string hoppers and so on. This recipe is easy to make, needs less number of ingredients and the ingredients are easy to find. To grind the ingredients, a mortar and a pestle can be used. In Sri Lanka we used to use the grinding stone but by now everyone uses mortar and pestle as the grinding stones are not available in most houses. There are many varieties of this recipe but this pol sambola recipe would be the easiest and perfect when you are in a hurry.
- 1 cup freshly scraped coconut
- 2-3 sliced small red onions
- 1 small green chilli, sliced
- 1 large garlic, sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon chilli powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon pounded maldive fish
- 1/2 teaspoon lime juice
- Add the garlic, onion, green chilli and maldive fish to the mortar and crush using the pestle.
- Add the scraped coconut to the mortar and add salt, chilli powder and pepper and grind until well combined.
- Put the mixture into a mixing bowl and add lime juice and mix well.
Below are some more Sri Lankan recipes for you to try out!