The original Red Chicken Curry was originated in Thailand where a special mixture called ” Red Curry Paste” is used. This recipe is the Red Chicken Curry recipe in Sri Lankan Style. This is so easy to make and so delicious, spicy and a family favorite.You can adjust the spiciness according to your preference. You will need only few ingredients which are already available in your home kitchen for this recipe.
- 400 grams chicken
- 8-10 garlic cloves
- 1 small piece of ginger
- 1 cup sliced onion
- 2-3 green chillies
- bunch of curry leaves
- 6 inch piece of rampe leave ( pandan leave)
- 2 tomatoes sliced
- 2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons pepper
- 3 tablespoons chilli powder
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1 small stick of cinnamon
- 2 -3 cardamom crushed
- 1 1/2 teaspoon vinegar
- 2 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 cup coconut milk, first extract
- 2 tablespoons oil
- Crush the garlic and ginger together but not smoothly as the crushed pieces give an amazing flavor.
- To a large mixing bowl, add the chicken, half of the crushed garlic and ginger, salt, pepper, chilli powder, curry powder, turmeric powder, coriander powder, cinnamon, crushed cardamom, vinegar and soy sauce.
- Mix all together until well combined and until all the chicken pieces get coated.
- Refrigerate the mixture for 20-30 minutes.
Making the curry :
- To a large non-stick pan, add oil and heat under low flame.
- When the oil is hot, add the remaining garlic and ginger and saute till light golden and fragrant.
- Add the curry leaves, rampe leaves and onion and stir till onion becomes light golden in color and fragrant.
- Add the green chillies and tomatoes and mix well.
- Close the pan from a lid and cook for 5 minutes until the tomatoes get softened.
- Crush the tomatoes from the spoon.
- Add the marinated chicken mixture and fish sauce and stir until well combined.
- Close the pan from the lid and cook the chicken for about 15 minutes until chicken is tender and softened.
- Add the coconut milk to the chicken and stir well.
- Cook for another 5 minutes until the coconut milk gets boiled.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and serve.
Do you love chicken? Here are some more chicken recipes!