This is an authentic way of making a delicious chicken curry in Sri Lankan style but not so traditional! This is super delicious, spicy and the chicken is so tender! The chicken curry goes with anything like rice, noodles, loaf of bread and so on. Also this is perfect for any meal time!
You can use any pieces of chicken such as chicken legs, thighs or a whole chicken cut into large chunks. The gravy is so delicious and you will love it for sure!
- 400 grams chicken
- 8-10 garlic cloves
- 1 small piece of ginger
- 1 cup sliced onion
- 2-3 green chillies
- bunch of curry leaves
- 6 inch piece of rampe leave ( pandan leave)
- 1 tomato sliced
- 2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons pepper
- 2 tablespoons chilli powder
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1 small stick of cinnamon
- 2 -3 cardamom crushed
- 1 1/2 teaspoon vinegar
- 2 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon roasted curry powder
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons oil
- coriander leaves for garnish
- Crush the garlic and ginger together but not smoothly as the crushed pieces give an amazing flavor.
- To a large mixing bowl, add the chicken, half of the crushed garlic and ginger, salt, pepper, chilli powder, curry powder, turmeric powder, coriander powder, cinnamon, crushed cardamom, vinegar and soy sauce.
- Mix all together until well combined and until all the chicken pieces get coated.
- Refrigerate the mixture for 20-30 minutes.
Making the curry:
- To a large non-stick pan, add oil and heat under low flame.
- When the oil is hot, add the remaining garlic and ginger and saute till light golden and fragrant.
- Add the curry leaves, rampe leaves and onion and stir till onion becomes light golden in color and fragrant.
- Add the green chillies and tomatoes and mix well.
- Close the pan from a lid and cook for 5 minutes until the tomatoes get softened.
- Crush the tomatoes from the spoon.
- Add the marinated chicken mixture and stir until well combined.
- Close the pan from the lid and cook the chicken for about 15 minutes until chicken is tender and softened.
- Add the coconut milk to the chicken and stir well.
- Add the roasted curry powder and mix well.
- Cook for another 5 minutes until the coconut milk gets boiled.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and serve.
- Marinate the chicken atleast for 20 minutes because the more you marinate more flavorful the chicken will be.
- Crushing the tomatoes would add more flavor to the gravy rather than having slices.
- When crushing the garlic, do not remove the skin. Adding the garlic with the skin would give an amazing flavor and helps to thicken up the gravy.
Here are more chicken recipes for all the chicken lovers!