There are various methods to cook chicken but trust me, this chicken stew is one of the most delicious recipes that I have cooked personally. This chicken stew is in Sri Lankan style but not so traditional. The chicken is so tender, juicy and the gravy is yum! The boiled potatoes gives the stew an amazing flavor and makes the gravy more thicker.
This is a perfect side dish for white rice, yellow rice, noodles, a loaf of bread and so on. This chicken stew is so delicious and easy to make! You can use any pieces of chicken such as chicken legs, thighs or a whole chicken cut into large chunks. The gravy is so delicious and you will love it for sure! Do not skip adding the boiled potatoes because it emphasizes the flavor and thickens the gravy.
- 500 grams chicken
- 250 grams potatoes, boiled and cut into half
- 2-3 large onions, sliced into rounds
- 4-5 green chillies, cut into half
- 1-2 capsicum or jalapeno, sliced
- 8-10 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 inch ginger, crushed
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 tablespoons pepper
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1/2 tablespoon turmeric powder
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 tablespoon coriander seeds or powder
- 4-5 cardamom, crushed
- 1 tablespoon cloves
- 1 tablespoon mustard cream, homemade or store bought
- 1 1/2 cup coconut milk, first extract
- bunch of curry leaves
- 6 inch piece of rampe leave ( pandan leave)
- 2 tablespoons oil
- To a large mixing bowl, add chicken, salt, pepper, vinegar, cinnamon sticks, turmeric powder, curry powder, coriander seeds or powder, cardamom, cloves, half of crushed ginger, half of crushed garlic, half of sliced onions, half of green chillies and the rampe leave.
- Mix all together until all the chicken pieces are coated well.
- Let the mixture marinate for about 15 minutes.
- Transfer the mixture into a large pan and cook for 20 minutes or until the chicken is cooked.
- In a separate bowl, mix the coconut milk and mustard cream until well combined.
- Add the milk mixture to the chicken and stir constantly until the gravy starts to boil.
- When the gravy is boiling, remove the chicken mixture from the stove.
- In a separate pan, heat oil.
- Add the remaining garlic, ginger and curry leaves and fry until golden.
- Add the remaining onions and capsicum or jalapeno and fry until the onions are golden.
- Add the boiled potatoes and temper for 5 minutes.
- Add the chicken mixture and temper for another 5 minutes.
If you are a chicken lover, here are some more chicken recipes recommended for you!