Gizzard is an organ found in the digestive tract of some animals including birds which is constructed of thick muscular walls is used for grinding up food. Gizzards are very small, with a distinctive taste that resembles dark chicken meat, but with a chewier and tougher texture. Chicken gizzard is so nutritious, in fact, it is one of the healthiest parts of the chicken. A one-cup serving of cooked chicken gizzards contains 223 calories, 44 grams of protein and 4 grams of fat, including 1 gram of saturated fat. They are an excellent source of iron and zinc, but high in cholesterol, so they should be consumed in moderation.
Chicken gizzards, along with other chicken giblets, can be found at your local grocery store or butcher shop. There are numerous ways of cooking these. In this recipe, chicken gizzards are boiled and tempered with lots of pepper. It is so easy to make and so delicious. Perfect to go as a side dish with rice, noodles or anything!
- 200 grams chicken gizzard, cleaned and rinsed
- 2 tablespoons ginger garlic paste
- 1/2 cup onions, thinly sliced
- 2 green chillies, sliced
- bunch of curry leaves
- 6 inch piece of rampe leave ( pandan leave)
- 1 small stick of cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons oil
- Add the rinsed chicken gizzards into a large pan.
- Add half of the ginger garlic paste, curry leaves, rampe leave, cinnamon and cloves.
- Add the salt, pepper, chilli powder, vinegar, soy sauce and water.
- Mix all together and cook in medium heat until the water is evaporated and gizzards are tender.
- To a separate pan, add oil.
- When the oil is hot, add the remaining ginger garlic paste and saute until golden.
- Add the onions and green chillies and saute for 5 minutes.
- Add the cooked chicken gizzards with all the remaining gravy.
- Temper in high heat for 5-6 minutes.
Do you crave for chicken? Here are some easy chicken recipes for you!